Local Breastfeeding Supporter Meetings
MIBFN began hosting Quarterly Network Meetings in 2016 as an effort to bring local, regional, and statewide collaborators together around our common efforts as we work towards becoming a more breastfeeding-supportive state. With support from the Michigan WIC Division, these meetings have grown over the past 3 years to become an opportunity to learn, share, and connect among local and regional breastfeeding supporters.
As we move forward in Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, initially published in our Letter to Breastfeeding Supporters, we are restructuring our Quarterly Network Meetings in alignment with our commitment to “listen”. In light of COVID-19, and in an effort to be responsive to the changing landscape of breastfeeding support services, these meetings have moved online, are held monthly, and are open to breastfeeding supporters from across the state.
MIBFN collaborates with organizations and individuals to bring about actionable, system-level changes that are centered on the diverse experiences of Michigan families with young children. To view a list of the organizations we are currently inviting and who are participating in these meetings, click here. We are so honored to serve in solidarity with breastfeeding supporters. If you would like to join our next meeting of breastfeeding supporters, please email email@example.com for more information.
Meetings and Main Themes
We are so honored to share space with the incredible breastfeeding supporters who join these calls. Please click below to view printable summary reports and the themes that guide our actions in response to the meetings.
- Breastfeeding and COVID-19 in April and May 2020
- August 2020 Breastfeeding Awareness in May and June 2020
- Breastfeeding Advocacy in July 2020
- Solidarity in Breastfeeding Advocacy and Birth Justice in August 2020
- Education in September 2020
- Summary Report of April-September 2020 Breastfeeding Supporter Meetings
If you were a participant of these meetings and have lost your link to the full meeting notes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Outcomes, Links, and Resources
In response to the information shared about Breastfeeding and COVID-19 during the April, May, and June 2020 meetings, we:
- Created a resource webpage for COVID-19
- Advocated for doulas to be allowed into hospitals to support birthing families (links to Executive Orders: 2020-07, 2020-37, and 2020-72)
- Opened access to participate in local coalition meetings virtually using MIBFN GoToMeeting account and technical support
- In partnership with Southeast Michigan IBCLCs of Color, hosted a fundraiser to provide PPE, equitable compensation for skilled lactation support, and lactation support supplies
- In partnership with Tameka Jackson-Dyer, IBCLC, CHW of Southeast Michigan IBCLCs of Color, recorded and published a bonus Great Lakes Breastfeeding Webinar, “Pushing Through: Community Breastfeeding Support in a Pandemic”
- Created and published a Child Care and COVID-19 resource for child care providers
- Created and published a Workplace and COVID-19 resource for employers
- Submitted CRF Rapid Response Initiative proposal in partnership with LactPower; Learn, Play, Grow; YOLO Breastfeeding, and Southeast Michigan IBCLCs of Color – stay tuned!
In response to the information shared about August 2020 Breastfeeding Celebrations during the May and June 2020 meetings, we:
- Created a resource webpage for August Breastfeeding Awareness celebrations
- Worked with Governor Whitmer to proclaim August 2020 Breastfeeding Awareness Month in Michigan
- Supported Bridging the Breastfeeding Gap – Our Stories event hosted by Oakland Breastfeeding Coalition and Learn, Lactate, Grow and sponsored by Blue Cross Complete
In response to the information shared about Breastfeeding Advocacy during the April, May, and June 2020 meetings, we:
- Submitted comment to MDHHS in support of their Title V Block Grant Proposal
- In partnership with Southeast Michigan IBCLCs of Color, created and published a letter to pediatric medical providers
These meetings, and everything that happens after, are a work in progress. Stay tuned to this page for updates and our efforts progress. If your organization’s outcomes are not listed, please reach out to email@example.com to share your update!