Skilled Lactation Supporter Representation and Compensation Planning Meeting
CALLING ALL IBCLCS IN MICHIGAN! Skilled Lactation Supporter Representation and Compensation Planning Meeting on October 15, 2021 from 9:00am-1:00pm. Click here to register.
Southeast Michigan IBCLCs of Color and Michigan Breastfeeding Network are hosting a Skilled Lactation Supporter Representation and Compensation Planning Meeting. Click here to learn more!
WHY are we meeting?
- We must grow and diversify the field of lactation so that Black and/or Indigenous families are served by people who reflect and represent them
- IBCLCs must be equitably/adequately compensated in all fields and locations of breastfeeding support to ensure that this work is not just for people with economic and/or skin privilege
WHAT is the purpose of this meeting?
Centering Black and Indigenous birthing people in the discussions of how to get consistent, sustainable, adequate compensation for skilled lactation supporters. Based on the input in this meeting, SEMI and MIBFN will publish an issue brief and advocacy support to local breastfeeding supporters to educate policy influencers to make the necessary changes to achieve our “WHY.”
Our vision for this meeting:
- Skilled lactation supporters from all parts of Michigan will come together to center Black and Indigenous birthing people and the lactation supporters who reflect and represent them at a virtual meeting to discuss barriers to employment and payment, promising practices and resources available to change the system, and establish a set of recommendations to build a new system that results in more Black and Brown skilled lactation supporters in well-paying, sustainable jobs across Michigan
- SEMI and MIBFN will publish a meeting report that reflects the conversations and outcomes of this meeting
- SEMI and MIBFN will co-create an issue brief for breastfeeding supporters and IBCLCs to distribute to policy influencers that will inform them of the problem and proposed policy (legislative and administrative) solutions to solve these problems
Participation is open to everyone who is an IBCLC in Michigan.
To register, click here.
With gratitude to W.K. Kellogg Foundation for their financial support of this event, this event is free to participate and there will be CERPS available for participants.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.